Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2005, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Recommend me some cool books (non-fiction please!!!)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Right now I'm reading Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene. So far so good.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you need to start with The Elegant Universe. Fabric Of the Cosmos is the second book. (But perhaps you can read them out of order.) In any event, I agree, great stuff. Best explanation of relativity, quantum mechanics and string theory I've ever read, all without the overwhelming mathematics.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I've read The Elegant Universe. And for anybody who hasn't seen it, I highly highly highly recommend watching Nova's series based on it.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

A few years back when I was reading elegant universe I met a friend for drinks. He runs one of the largest speaker agencys in Canada and has offices in the USA as well. I wanted to reccomend Greene to him.

Before I could begin he launches into "the idiots that work for me" tirade. A brilliant scientist and author had been attempting to get my friend to represent him. My friend presented it to his sales force at a meeting and they unanimosly rejected the idea saying the guy was unsaleable to thier clients. My friend disagreed but decided to bow to the united resistance. If they blieved they couldn't sell they probably wouldn't sell.

The client was of course Brian Greene, the same guy I was about to recommend. I begged him to overule but he had already talked to Greene and declined.

I was just hoping to get a free pass to a lecture.