Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2005, 07:01 AM

Default Re: What content should be censored from the politics forum?

[ QUOTE ]
There is no "politics" of pedophilia. The abuse of children is not "politics". Either admit the truth of that or that you have no moral qualms about adults having sex with children.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course there are politics surrounding pedophilia, you're just having a blind knee-jerk response. Our media is very good at programming this response, as we saw when the Brass-eye pedophile special (satirical comedy) aired in the UK in 2001. Chris Morris is a comedy genius who understood that the media simply cannot handle rationally discussing anything to do with children and went to great lengths to point it out in a humourous way.

The program itself was utterly hilarous if you could see past the subject matter, which of course many people could not. No children were harmed, and in fact no discussion of violating children occured IN ANY WAY on the program, but people still lost it, there were 3000 complaints, many from people who never saw the program.

The home office government minister at the time, Beverly Huges lost it the day after in the media. She attacked the content of the program without having ever seen it. There were 3000 complaints. However after the matter was investigated nothing was done, the program was fine and didn't even come close to discussing anything "over the line".

To get back to the original point, what if a 17 year old has sex with a 15.7 year old and gets sent to prison as a pedophile? Is this no different from a 40 year old having sex with a 12 year old? Of course it's utterly utterly different. The former is expected, the latter is a horrendus violation.

It is a touchy subject and one that needs to be handled with care, but if you can't see that there are some issues worth discussing then you're being blinkered IMO. I doubt I'll partake further in this discussion, and I might add just to be clear for you knee-jerk responders out there that pedophilia is disgusting and I in no way condone it at all. Although I conceed that the 17 year old with 15.7 year old is a much greyer area that the other obviously more insane and criminal acts.