Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-14-2005, 09:56 PM

Default Call Now to Prompt Release Later

Mildly interesting spot in the 75 game. I have (10,10) 7. A deuce brings it in, a 5 calls, a jack calls (two other jacks folded) and I take it upstairs. The 5 and the Jack calls.

4th Street
Villian: (x,x) J J

Me: (10,10) 7 9

Donk: (x,x) 5 8

Villian bets 150 and I call. Donk folds. I called for a number of reasons besides the obvious (that jacks are dead). Basically this player is capable of limping with MANY hands on 3rd that don't include a pair and he would always bet the full 150 on 4th here. He is also a player that has a fatal flaw...he likes to make "smart" laydowns, particularly on 6th and 7th in huge pots when he believes he's beat. He is probably correct that he's beat but he often makes what seems like big laydowns in big pots.

Anyway, 5th street...

Villian: (x,x) J J 5

Me: (10,10) 7 9 Q

Villian checks, I bet and he folds. Now, I don't know if this is interesting at all because it's pretty read specific. But I found it neat b/c it was (as SM&Z would say) against an opponent who I had good control so I basically knew by calling I would take the pot from him on 5th with a worse hand. Very few opponents I could be as certain against. Anyway, might not have much discussion value but I thought I'd share. Comments appreciated.

Jeff