Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-31-2003, 05:33 AM

Default Which book next

Howdy all,
My wife limited me to a $30 buy in (yeah, so we know who wears the pants in the family). Well, I have built my $30 to $400+ and I would like to invest in a new poker book. I have the Theory of Poker and have digested most of it, which is probably why I am winning. I have Winning Low Limit Holdem, which has been very profitable at the microlimit at planet poker. But I find I am playing tight weak most of the time. I also have Seven Card Stud for Advanced Players, which came in very helpful in an old homegame, but 7 stud high is never going at Planet at microlimit.

I am playing Holdem, but am making only .17 BB per hour at a .5-1 table that has only 2-4 people seeing the flop. I am playing .5/1 Omaha Hi/Lo and actually losing .1 BB per hour, but have logged less than 10 hours (If it's possible I might be playing too tight on a table where 8 are seeing the flop routinely. I can usually get away from hands that aren't getting the right odds to call. But have been playing pretty tight so far.) I am playing .5/1 7 stud Hi/Lo and winning 2.3 big bets per hour. (a recent post on the stud board leads me to believe I am playing sub-optimally.) I am playing .5/1 5 draw high and winning .25 big bets per hour. (My deviation is almost nil on draw).
Finally, I am making about 5 times my investment on a limited number of tournaments (40-100 players, 1 win, 1 second, 1 8th). I am a losing player at all forms of pot and no limit that I have tried.

What would your suggestion be for my next book?
Holdem for Advanced Players would hopefully make me a winner at the game that got me to this limit.
Someone suggested Zee's book for my stud game, which seems to be the most profitable at this limit.
I also have thought about Tournament Poker for Advanced Players or possibly Super/System for my no limit game.

Are all of these the best books in there area of expertise?

Am I leaving out any of the top books?

Thanks for you help,
Chucklehead