Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-14-2005, 05:21 AM

Default Stud 8/b final table

I was in a $10 buy-in MTT stud 8/b tourney on pokerstars with 269 players. I made the final table in 6th place, but I had 40K chips, and the average was only 45K (the chip leader had 100K, and 2-6 were all within 10K in chips).

I hadn't played at the chip leader's table yet, but had been watching him before the tables got down to the final table. He was definitely being uber aggressive, trying to win every pot he could. I went into the final table with the mindset that I was not going to let him push me around, and I was gonna make my stand as long as I had the cards. Three hands into the final table, the following hand came up:

I actually had to bring in with (8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Everyone folded around to the chip leader on my right, he completed the bet with (xx)7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I called. On fourth street our boards were:
(8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
(xx)7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

at this point he bet and I just called (right play here?). I was looking to checkraise him on the turn with the big bet. On the turn we picked up blanks, and I checkraised him. He called. Sixth street gave him another ace, so he had a pair of aces on his board. I was pretty sure I was now beaten, but I called down in disgust and lost 3/4 of my stack to his aces up. Did I play this correctly (with the exception of calling the last two big bets)?