Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-30-2003, 05:35 PM

Default R U Really sure online poker is not rigged?

If you got a minute, let me tell you what happened to me and then I'll ask you a question at the end.

About three months ago, I wanted to learn how to play poker. It seemed like everyone knew how to play it except moi. So I went to this web site and learned the basic rules for 5-card draw poker. It was difficult for me to remember all the rankings (e.g. whether straight is better or flush is better), but I got the basic picture.

Then I played Hold 'em at Yahoo! Games. (They didn't have 5-card draw.) For a couple of days, I kept losing (play money), but I quickly caught on. About after 2-3 days, I started winning on a consistent basis. And then I thought to myself, 'Hey, maybe I could make money by playing this game for real money.' Oops!

Anyway, I found an online poker site (I'll leave it as anonymous for now) and started to play for REAL money. Now, this was exactly one week after I learned how to play poker.

I don't know whether it was beginner's luck or what, but I kept winning. I started to play on a Thursday afternoon, and I kept winning until Sunday. (So my winning sessions lasted for two and a half days.)

And then, on Sunday, I lost everything. And then some more. (Much more actually...)

So here's my question to you. If the game was not rigged, how much money do you think I could have won assuming that all my opponents were terrible at poker and I was lucky every single time?

I played at $5/$10, $10/20, $20/$40 tables, both short-handed (6 total) and full ring table (10 total).

The amount of deposit I made was $50.00.

I played for 2.5 days and I'm almost positive that I didn't play more than 3 hours per day. (So less than 10 hours of total playing time.) I only played one table at a time.

I was totally a beginner. I didn't read any poker books or articles on poker. (For god's sakes, I didn't even know an Ace could be used to make the lowest straight, A2345.)

So how much do you think I won? (I'll post the answer later.)