Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-11-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Decisions, decisions

[ QUOTE ]
Anything goes - as long as you don't aggress against another person. When someone picks chocolate ice cream instead of vanilla, has he made the "right" choice? Should I worry about it?

[/ QUOTE ] Come on, we are talking about the school curriculum, not ice cream flavor.

You think I'd advocate anything but personal choice on a matter of ..personal choice?

[ QUOTE ]
It's not a utopia.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then you have to show some modicum of practicality in it. I'm not asking for a comprehensive blueprint, you understand.

[ QUOTE ]
There may be some of one [i.e. home schooling] and some of the other [i.e. community schooling].

[/ QUOTE ]
Yrs -- and it is easy to define what happens with home schooling: Those at home decide, thank you very much.

My probe has to do with community schooling. I said, let's assume that we have today your kind of society and that our town decides to have community schools. What happens with the kids that get sent there? What do they learn? Who decides about it? And with what method of decision making?

[ QUOTE ]
Each school can lay out its own curriculum and parents can choose schools based on the options. Perhaps some school actually will allow parents to micromanage every aspect of the curriculum.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK, perhaps some schools will achieve that kind of unanimity amongst parents regarding the schol curriculum. What happens to the other cases (which I claim are mathematically the cast majority)?

How can we ever have schools where I, the "absolute freedom"-loving individual, send my kids and whereby I agree with everything that is happening at that school, from the curriculum to the cafeteria drinks ?

H o w ?