Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-06-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Preflop Plays & Creativity

I know the stakes i play are too low to be posting in this forum but im wondering if these plays are ones that players make in bigger cash games and whether i should be adding them to my repertoire if i plan on moving up in stakes. Thanks for indulging a lowly 50NL player =).

Lately ive been reading Phil Gordon’s Little Green Book. The content has me trying to be a little bit more creative with my game. However, im not sure if Im applying the strategies/tactics to the correct situations. First, im not sure if the tactics such as raising limpers and the “chip sandwich” play are tournament specific or whether they are supposed to be applied to cash games. I’ve been playing $50NL lately and raising limpers doesn’t seem optimal unless I have a strong hand. If im on a steal, winning a couple of 50 cent blinds is that great as my TAG image quickly becomes tarnished if I try to use this play very often. Also, the chip sandwich play seems like it wouldn’t be nearly as effective in cash games where players are able to simply reload. Do you guys make these plays and have they been effective?

I also like to mix my PF play up a little bit by raising in early with SC’s or suited gapers on occasion. While I think this play is fine, I will also sometimes make a 4xBB raise after some limpers have entered the pot and when im in position with these same types of hands. I’ve been wondering whether this play is worth it. While it adds some deception, I’m expecting to have callers and I don’t think I can bluff my way to a win all the time. Is limping preferable here? Are these strategies somewhat dependent on the stakes being played?

Nate