Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-06-2005, 11:16 AM

Default I just realized a huge - no a gigantic - leak in my game

A friendly sole at the small stakes forum recommended me to post this here:

Hey everybody,
Thanks for a fantastic site, to the 2+2 team and all its posters.
Im a long time lurker, first time poster.

I just realized a huge leak in my game, plus a second leak because of the first one. This has been going on since this summer, before that I was profitable but since then I can only just barely break even. Here's the thing:

If I set out to play several thousand hands over the course of a week or so, I start out with excellent hand selection and proper post-flop aggression, but the longer I play the tighter I become, and as a frustrated consequence of that the more aggressive I become with the few hands I end up playing.

So, over the course of such a cycle I first win several hundred bucks (playing mostly 2/4) and then give it all back, before I get so frustrated with the game I stay away from it for a week or so.

When I return the cycle starts all over. Over the last few months I have cursed my bad luck that always seems to hit me when I believe I am about to take my game to the next level (when in fact the opposite is what's happening becasue of my own doing).

My question now simply is, anyone out there ever experienced anything similar? How did you overcome it? How did you keep it from happening again? Anyone out there with similar troubles right now? Maybe we can coach each other?

Let's say there is some unknow self-destructive behavior behind this, would this be a good topic for the psychology section as well (there have been a lot of social and financial changes in my life lately)?

Thanks,
T