Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-05-2005, 03:36 PM

Default Should I have called a floorman?

15/30 at Hustler, played in a 3/6 chip structure. I'm on the button, and there's a new player posting in EP who hasn't received his chips yet. When action gets to me, I raise. A loose, drunk, friendly guy in the BB calls. The poster announces a call.

When the flop is dealt, the poster receives his chips from the brush. While he is taking them out of his rack, the BB checks. The dealer places the number of chips in front of the poster's betting line that he needs to match -- that he owes the pot (6 chips: the posted blind of 3, and calling the raise). The player then pays what he owes, and the dealer scoops them into the pot. The player now puts another 3 chips onto the betting line, as the action is on him.

I see this, and action is to me. While this is going on, the drunk BB tells me, "I need a 9 to make a straight, and I'll get it! I'll suck out on you!" Well, I have the best hand now, and I can charge him 2 small bets to chase the 4-outer incorrectly. Since the poster put another 3 chips out as a small bet, I announce "raise," then I put 6 chips over the line.

The poster sees that I raised and asks who bet. The dealer tells him he did. He objects, saying he was just paying what he owed the pot. Of course, the drunk BB only wants the bet to be 3 chips, so he argues to the dealer that the poster didn't want to bet. The poster grabs his 3 chips back, and the dealer turns to me and says, "You can only bet 3 chips, sir."

Now one of the other players not in the hand says that action has already occurred behind the player's bet. The opponents now have information that I like the flop and want to raise it. I reiterate my case to the dealer, and she tells me the guy didn't mean to bet, and that I can't raise. So I sigh and put the 3 chips out, which the drunk BB happily calls.

Of course, the turn brings his miracle 9, and I lose the hand. The guy not in the hand who was defending my case told me I should have stopped betting the flop and called a floorman over -- now that the hand is over, there's nothing I could do. Should I have listened to him? I figured if the dealer is ruling this way, the floorman would too, and I didn't want to be a nit at the table and ruin a relatively friendly game. But it did cost me the pot.