Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Daniel Negreanu says O8 is Barry Greenstein\'s worst game

[ QUOTE ]
With respect to being "cavalier" with money you are correct, however, the act of repeatedly disrepecting it through poor play does not provide one with "special insight".

If I go to the 1cent/2cent tables and blow through 40 buy-ins I don't believe that will not give me some type of epiphany and license to pontificate, but if it will give me a more than "chalkboard' understanding of the greatness of LAG play which I am presently lacking, I'll go do it immediately.

[/ QUOTE ]
Two nights ago, in a live NLHE game, an opponent called my all-in (worth $400 since I covered him) into a $700 pot on the river, JT876 board with three to a flush, with Jacks up. How did I get him to pay me off with two pair when a flush, one-card straight, or set was staring him right in the face, as obvious as could be? Because he'd seen me make two suckouts in situations where EV would dictate that I lose money, and show multiple bluffs, both successful and losing. Granted, one of my suckouts was so bad that the advertising value did not merit it, but this kind of situation--getting paid off by virtue of advertising--happens *all the time* for me. It's naive to think my opponents are always "just bad".

So your suggestion of playing ultra-LAG at some cheap tables is IMO not a bad one. You will probably find it fun, and illuminationg. BTW, DN himself played like this from time to time during his poker development. Once a month or so he raised every two cards he was dealt PF in a limit HE game, and then tried to play good poker postflop. He won big every time. So if you think it's silly to experiment with uncomfortable styles, just consult your poker idol's history and you may reconsider.