Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-02-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Small Issue with Andy Fox Article

[ QUOTE ]
The tight player is a pro. He's playing to make his monthly nut. I know he's been running bad lately, and this was the 30th of the month. For all I know, he had rent or a car payment or a mortgage payment coming up, and the amount he won in the game put him over the top.

[/ QUOTE ]

This kind of reminds me of my days when I was in poverty and living with multiple roommates. One discussion went something like this:

Roommate: I was thinking of not paying the rent until this Saturday since that's when it's due in case something comes up.
Me: That's a horrible idea.
Him: Why?
Me: Is either of us getting paid between now and then?
Him: No.
Me: So, let's say there's an emergency. We spend the rent money. Now what?

So extending this to the poker example...Hero has X amount of money, and a mortgage payment of Y tomorrow. Hero decides to quit the game because X-Y isn't enough to continue playing poker.

Tomorrow he pays the mortgage. He now has a total bankroll of X-Y which isn't enough to play poker. Now what?

If I'm misinterpreting the argument I apologize (though I still think this is an important point to make), but this is an important point to make and just further solidifies my view that stop-losses are only good for psychological reasons. If hero is quitting because "rent is tomorrow" then he needs to move down in limits or get a day job.