Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-02-2005, 01:54 PM

Default LC: Strategy Question

Background: I play mostly micro-limit poker online, and do fairly successfully. I've been through SSHE a couple of times. Occasionally, I'll play $1 or $5 SnG and have won more than I've spent, though I concentrate my reading and practice on Limit games.

The problem:
I play a live game at work once a week that is a fixed buy-in, 10 minute blinds, 50chip start, winner take all no-limit game. It is anywhere from 4-6 handed. Generally, it is an easy game, and particularly post-flop I feel like I can read others well. However, there is one maniac in the game. He folds less than 10% of his starting hands, and is aggressively raising and goes all-in often. Most of his aggression comes pre-flop. He does with anything from rags (like 84o) to premium hands.

Calling his all in or re-raising his hands with good but not excellent cards is a risky proposition, but so is letting this maniac build a stack by stealing a ton of blinds. I think he's been given the (good) advice by someone who plays to make his bluffs and bets before the flop, since he can't outplay anybody after the flop (when he does, he makes dumb plays like raising his 2pair into betters with a 4 flush on the board).

I've read a little from Slansky's Tournament book about the Gap Concept, but in general I'm not much of a no-limit player.

I'm looking for suggestions for an approach to this game.