Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-31-2005, 08:42 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: Play A Hand With The Triple Threat (Results & Comments)

[ QUOTE ]
You donked this hand. This is a flop that you can't bet weakly; a full-pot or near full-pot bet is very necessary here. Don't be sad if he folds because he's either drawing live (with an A) or not going to put any more money in the pot anyway (small PP, suited non-diamond connectors).

[/ QUOTE ]

So you believe that if I bet the flop strongly that Villian would have folded? A/J is a viable holding for him, as would be a number of other hands that fit well with this flop.

I figure to be ahead, yes, but my opponent (if they have connected with this flop) is likely to stick around regardless of my bet. Also, if I am ahead, I want to extract chips from him with this strong holding, these type of hands don't happen all that often. I may have an opportunity to stack him.

Again, I feel that by betting large on the flop, all I accomplish is this:

1. If my opponent is on a weak holding compared to this flop (say 9/9 or something along those lines) he's going to fold and I won't get anymore chips from him

2. If my opponent has me beat with A/J, this pot is going to become too large for me to get away from

3. If my opponent has a drawing hand (to a straight or flush or both, plus a pair) it is unlikely a large bet is going to push him out. Whether I bet the 120, or I make it 150 or 200, he's likely going to call.

I'm not adverse to betting more on the turn, but I figured I was still ahead of my opponent and had additional outs to the 2nd nut flush plus a boat on the river.

My 200 bet into the 450 pot was an attempt to keep him around and paying me off. When he check-raised in that spot, I was no longer certain I had the best hand. He could easily be on A/J with the ace of diamonds, and thus ahead of me.

Pushing would only cause me to go broke in that situation unless I sucked out.

If I'm still ahead, but my opponent has outs, he's shown by his bet that he's ready to commit his entire stack to the hand. So, my options on the turn are:

1. FOLD: No way jose, I still may be ahead, I have position when the river comes and I have outs if I'm behind

2. PUSH/RAISE: This will most certainly be called by an A/J hand, and if my opponent has the Ace or the Jack of diamonds (plus some other card that doesn't make the straight) then he's likely calling as well. This doesn't allow me to get off the hand when the river comes and provides my opponent with a straight. And if my opponent has something like K/10 he may lay down and I lose chips I might have gained on the river.

3. CALL: By calling I have half my starting stack left and position on the river. The only "bad" cards for me would likely be an Ace or a Jack. A diamond I won't worry about too much, since he must have the Ace of diamonds to beat me, and I'm ready to go broke in that spot. If the board pairs on the river, I'm most likely ahead unless it comes with a King and he was on K/10 and outdrew me.