Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-21-2003, 07:06 PM

Default I feel like Phil Hellmuth

The following was a hand played in a party multi-table tournament with blinds at 50-100. Player 1 has 3765 chips, player 2 has 1370, and our hero has around 1500.

Utg raises to 620. Our hero from MP looks down and sees T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Normally I would fold to an UTG raise of this size but I had seen this player raise this amount with hands like KJ from the very same positon. I decided to take a shot at doubling up. I'm almost certain that player 1 doesn't have JJ-AA because I had also seen them slow play a big pocket pair. I raise all-in and to my surprise Player 2 from the BB calls and Player 1 calls the remaining amount.

Flop comes [ 8c, 8s, Jh ]. Turn [Kd]. River [Ad]. As I expected player 1 was weak and turns up 77 but here's the kicker BB turns up Qc10d (the famous hand that Varkonyi knocked Phil Hellmuth out of the 2002 WSOP) for the rivered straight. I say nice hand and exit the tournament. So basically my 10's dominated both hands pre-flop. I guess I'm just wondering when I'm going to start winning when I have the advantage pre-flop (the day before I was knocked out with KK vs AK). I'm just wondering what others would do in this situation and at this stage of the tournament. Usually I try not to mess with stacks that are larger than mine but in this case felt that I had the best hand. Let me know what you think.