Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-31-2005, 12:45 PM

Default Going all the way in reraised pots - you reraised OOP?

Hiya!
[Full ring, and full stacks]
Question – if you reraise strongly preflop from OOP with KK or AA, and get a caller. Will you most often risk your whole stack, or do you adjust to flop texture and/or your reads in any way?

I really don’t see any drawing-type hands staying in here – calling a RR with a SC after making a sneaky pfr with it surely is out of question if the RRer will bet the flop.

My thinking is that a sufficient size of the reraise will make calling for set value -EV. And calling a big reraise with AK must be a very fishy play that might loose a stack half the time it hits (K vs AA), thus very -EV. Thus, essentially any call must be an error if I always bet the flop properly after reraising. Thus, a strong player will fold or reraise AA preflop.

Situation:
You are in a blind (or limped in EP) with KK. You reraise a PFR from MP/LP. There are no limpers or callers in the pot. The PFR calls your reraise.
Thus, pot-size about 32-42BB’s [pfr=3-5bbs, RR=15-20bbs].

My current line is to bet all flops at about 75% of pot. That way I give no free cards, yet I might be able to do a “Houdini” if I somehow (magically) detect a set or AK-Ax hand that hit an A-high flop.
Betting 75% will often extract from lower overpairs like QQ-TT on low flops that just might fold to a full pot bet.

But perhaps one should sometimes check KK vs A-high flops? That seems very weak in a reraised pot, though.
So, are there situations when it is best to check the flop, or bet less than 75%?!

The one case I can think of is when a loose superfish opens in LP, and comes along to the flop. His pfr-range will include a ton of various crappy Ax-hands, and he just might decide to call a reraise with A6s just as well as with any PP, AK, AQ etc etc.
Against this particular opponent, a “safe” check with unimproved KK on A-high flop just might reduce variance.
And betting the A-high flop won’t extract a penny from QQ-99 or whatever missed.

Any thoughts on the above?

Thanx,
Zal3