Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-30-2005, 02:07 AM

Default Note To the Religion Advocates

From day one, my problem has always been only with those people who have specific religious beliefs along with the opinion that those beliefs are not only possible, but highly likely, even without resorting to "faith". In other words they think that a knowledge of the facts and a logical and unbiased mind, would lead someone to think their specific beliefs are probably right. Txaq007 is the worst culprit.

Most religious people don't have this view. Of course that opens up problems such as how they can claim someone shouldn't be a Mormon or Muslim. That's for another thread.

Meanwhile many posters on this forum are much stronger in their anti religious view than I am. I only want people to admit that their specific religous beliefs deserve to be considered big underdogs in the eyes of a educated observer without faith. But many here say the same thing about God in general. I'm not so adament about that, though I think they are right. The problem is that the athiests don't always make themselves clear. Because of that religious posters go after them with arguments about the creation of the universe, the Big Bang etc. And in their zeal to counter these arguments these atheists resort to explaining why the universe needed no creator.

But that is off the subject. Because from my standpoint this isn't the issue that needs be decided. And based on my thread about the sixth dimensionsal high school kids, atheists evidently agree with me. Quoting Piers:

"However I think it needs to pointed out to some people, that just because something might have created the universe, it does not follow that a biblical god exists, prayers are answered, life after death is possible and the belief of all or any religion are or is correct. This is true even if we decide to label whatever sequence of events might have created the universe (on or a subset thereof) God."

I think many religious peole didn't realize that atheists actually feel this way and have no problem with the concept of a creator. And that the debates about religon should start from this point