Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-27-2005, 08:17 PM

Default An attempted restatement of PFKs point

I think that much of the flaming that has gone on with regard to the Red Zone notion is a lack of understanding of what is really being claimed.

I'd like to focus in on El Diablo's post:

[ QUOTE ]

The fact that one way I'm going to end up w/ 12.2BB and the other way I'm going to end up w/ 6.4BB shows exactly why I better not take any unnecessary risks with 12BB that put me in the "red zone" because even if my "EV is better" in the "red zone," where I end up is a much crappier place.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt even PFK would refuse to trade his 6bb stack for a 12bb stack if given the chance. Rather, I think what he's saying (correct me if I'm wrong), is that if your stack is reduced from 20 bb to 6 bb, you haven't really lost 70% of its value. If you accept that your last 6 bb are more valuable than the next 14, then this must be true, as a simple matter of ratios. (I won't comment as to whether your EV % is actually higher -- I defer to better players there.)

This thinking is similar to some earlier threads about my theory that a stack's value as related to its size is not a linear function (although it is a continuous and increasing one.) I was flamed quite thoroughly in that thread, and many of the posts demonstrated nothing more than a lack of understanding of what I was saying. (Which was probably my own fault for not explaining it better.)

Now I still disagree with some of PFKs conclusions about how this should affect your strategy, but that doesn't mean his thinking is completely absurd. It's one thing to point out a flaw in someone's argument. It's quite another to make a sweeping statement that the entire idea is moronic. Rarely are ideas perfect when first conceived.

Try to dig a little deeper before you categorically dismiss an idea. Many folks on here have good intuitive notions, but lack the math background to state them rigorously. Others have the background, but are too lazy or busy to do it. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I know it feels good to flex nuts, but remember -- to quote the Geto boys, "real gangstas don't flex nuts, 'cause real gangstas know they got 'em."