Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-27-2005, 07:17 PM

Default Re: I throw myself at the mercy of the MTT forum. Help an old pooh-bah

Here is my simple advice:

If you want to become a better MTT player you need to focus on your game.

Here is how I would go about focusing.

Only play one site - IMO the sites have a very different feel to them during each phase of the tournament. Party rewards tighter play due to the lack of antes and 10 handed. You will learn the rhythm of the tournament you pick.
I'm not suggesting forever, just for now.

Only play one game at a time - If you have more than one game open you aren't really concentrating on the players and the table. Most of your actions are reflex, some of these reflex actions are preventing you from being a better player.

Tighten the ship - Probably the lowest hanging fruit is bet size. We (most of us) struggle over getting 2-5% advantage in the hand, but don't worry about 1/4XBB in a 20XBB pot when we bet. In cases where you have the best hand, if villain calls you may have bet too little, and if he folds the reverse. Look at all the areas in HOH (I just read the first page of the chapter).

Review your game - Go over your HH no matter how tedious and painful to see where you donked off chips. I'd start by just looking at hands where you won or lost 10% of your stack and look for improvements. If you have questions, post.

Play less not more - I think the above formula can improve any player and has nothing to do with playing alot. I suspect that most online players have a serious addiction problem, and that multitabling MTT is EV-- for all but the best players who have better honed skills, instincts, and MANAGE their multitabling. (although it does reduce variance).

GL.