Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-26-2005, 02:40 AM

Default Re: In fact...

[ QUOTE ]
"As an aside: The only argument I have seen against Religion that has an iota of validity (although I think it, too, falls short) is David S’s. He maintains that it can distracts from other things that perhaps are more important"

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
You don't think that the fact that it is bad if people use bad reasoning to believe in incorrect ideas isn't an even better valid argument?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, if the goal is for example to find a cure for cancer or how to make a new type of bomb. One certainly needs to follow logic and base things on what is already known - or discover something new. But, I was talking about Religion, per se as a distraction. A distraction to what?

As far as religion your point here about using bad logic certainly is true, too. Who wants to follow what can be shown to be a false Religion? I am all for dissecting my (or any other ) Religion. I think your methodology might be flawed is all - or at least not capable of discerning a (dis) proof or even a somewhat virtually incontestable theory about (at least my) Religion.

I have a reply ready for you latest “New Biggest Miracle” post. Since you asked for no tangents, I will wait to reply to it tomorrow or post a new thread. I think it further addresses your question here. We’ll see.