Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-25-2005, 09:38 AM

Default I suck at poker, but I\'m a winning player

Do many of you have the same feeling? I've never played anywhere but at loose tables, VPIP 50% or so, and as a result, I am easily able to win money as my opponents are so bad. I started with the partypoker beginners tables, moved on to the 6max .50/1.00, and now to the 6max $1/$2.

But I really don't feel like I'm very good at all. For example, I utterly suck at heads up situations. Heads up after the flop, I seem to have no clue what's going on with my opponent, and I tend to stupidly call to a showdown with no pair.

Well, fortunately I don't find myself heads up all that often on the flop, since the tables I play at are so loose, and in general my opponents are such blundering idiots that I can make money despite what I see as my own lack of skill.

I think that at low limit loose tables full of players who call to the river with any pair or any draw, you don't really have to be a good player to win money. Be tight aggressive, calculate pot odds on your drawing hands, take into consideration what sort of player your opponent is (which is easy using pokertracker stats).

There's clearly a lot more to poker than just that, and I gotta learn it if I'm ever gonna be able to graduate past the lowest level tables.

Anyone have any general advice on this?

What I've decided to do is to stop playing 1/2 6max for now, since I could easily crank out hundreds and thousands more hands without changing my playstyle, and find an online cardroom that has heads up tables. I believe I'd learn more even at the tiniest microlimits heads up (I think stars has something like 1/2 cent heads up tables) than I would learn by continuing to play my usual game.