Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-23-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Dear Christians: why doesn\'t god DO something?

[ QUOTE ]

This is where you are wrong. I think this is some sort of falicy, perhaps the unbounded middle?

[/ QUOTE ]

The syllogism I would make goes something like this:

1. The ultimate source of the universe is either God or not-God.
2. If God is the source, everything must be explained in terms of God.
3. Any explanation that isn't in terms of God presupposes not-God.

That doesn't mean that every explanation has to refer specifically to God or not-God, nor does it mean that you make a concious mental assertion about either one. What I mean is that when discussing ultimate issues there is an implication involved that assumes either God or not-God. To speak of chance in an unqualified and ultimate way implies the non-existence of God without proving it, because the Christian theistic concept of God excludes the possibility of ultimate chance. Therefore to treat chance as ultmate presupposes the non-existence of the Christian theistic God.

[ QUOTE ]

I don't even know what you mean by chance is ultimate.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really don't understand what that means we are talking at cross-purposes.

[ QUOTE ]

Chance exists thus chance is ultimate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't say this. I qualify chance with the word ultimate. I've stated before that from the human perspective we can use the word chance as a euphemism for ignorance. There is 1 chance in 52 that the top card of a standard deck is the ace of spades. This means we don't know what the top card is, but it can't be just anything. It can't be a birthday card. It is defined within the limitations of a standard deck in a universe that has order and which doesn't normally allow the ace of spades to randomly become a birthday card. If we were omniscient there would be an absolute, 100% certainty about the top card.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm tangled up here because you grasp that evolution doesn't include biogenesis, but you still wish to base your arguements on a false def of evolution.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you define evolution as the beaks of finches and peppered moths we have no disagreement. If you say these things occurred randomly, without qualification, we have an issue - not that the beaks are different, but WHY they are different.

[ QUOTE ]

You are happy to have tought in schools both that life was created by chance and that life was created by god. Why would you want such a thing when both are lacking.

[/ QUOTE ]

I say the opposite. Teach neither in public schools. But if you preach evolution by chance then also preach ID.