Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-23-2005, 12:25 PM

Default Re: On Phil (H)

[ QUOTE ]
Here's what you keep misunderstanding: the WSOP only covers "important" hands in the early stages. Therefore, you are not seeing Phil playing poker. You're seeing Phil playing a HAND. If you're arguing with what Barry Greenstein has said, then you have a terrible case of ego. You have only seen TV hands which are the most exciting hands (DUH). If you think you can pinpoint ANY player's style from the WSOP coverage, you need pills.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt argue with what Barry said. Basically I agree that Phil's best game is exactly how Barry describes. I can definitely see how this strategy would work well for him. What I see from the WSOP coverage, however, is Phil deviating from this strategy to a lot of preflop bullyish all-in wars. I suppose from point of view of strategy, obviously this will happen from time to time in a tournament, depending on blinds and stack size. However, it seemed to me that Phil was doing his part to push the action, either with his talk and goading or with his raises. Just some observations.

And I agree that the selected hands broadcasted on ESPN are pretty meaningless. But from what I saw on the last ESPN broadcast of the main event, phil was like in good chip position and then got overinvolved with the AQ vs QQ, then got sucked out on by KJ, the was forced into a race with AQ vs 77. Three straight b4 the flop gambles when he was in good chip position to last quite a bit longer in the main event.

Gosh, how many times do I have to defend myself on this website. You guys are so hypercritical. If you think I was "pinpointing his style" based on the few hands in the original post, then it is you who needs pills. I wasnt pinpointing anyone's style. I was merely observing that a great champion doesnt seem to be able to get in the groove lately.

-j

-J