Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-21-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Wisdom teeth trip report

Many years ago, three of my wisdom teeth came out (about halfway out), all pretty much straight. The dentist said there was no problem and getting them out was up to me and completely optional.

Fast forward to a couple months ago. My fourth wisdom tooth decides to come out. It is decayed and a big chunk of tooth actually chips off at some point. It started hurting and I went to the dentist in late September, who sent me to an oral surgeon. Guy did the X-rays and said that the fourth one had to come out, and the other one on that side should probably come out as well. He said the other two were fine, but might as well get them out to avoid any potential future problems. I decide to go ahead with it, only then finding out that this guy is no longer in Blue Shield network. So, after getting reimbursed by insurance, I'll be out like $2k. F that. So, I pay him $200 for the evaluation and X-rays and find a new oral surgeon.

Talk to my dentist and he recommends a few on the plan and I check out some reviews. Find a guy that sounds pretty good.

Wednesday night I go buy a bunch of soup, some chocolate pudding, some tapioca pudding, a cheesecake, some fruit pops, a lot of yogurt, and some croissants. I figure that should hold me for a few days.

Yesterday morning, a friend takes me to Dr. Bedrossian around 9:45. Fill out some stuff and am getting prepped around 10:15. My co-pay for 4 extractions and sedation is about $400. Assistant chick says this should be pretty easy as all my wisdom teeth are aligned pretty straight and not really impacted at all. A little after 10:30, the doctor comes in and they hook me up on some IV sedation (and some gas). I am aware of him probing and yanking at one tooth. Very slight discomfort. Then I'm aware of some pressure as he yanks on the second one. Then, the chick starts unhooking everything. Huh? I ask her if we're done. She says yes. I'm still not confident all 4 were pulled. I ask her how long that was. 30 min. Seemed like 5 to me.

It's 11:05. They stick me in a recovery room. For some reason, they have my ride wait outside. Around 11:45 they let her in and give the post-op instructions - no hard food, pain and antibiotics, gauze in the mouth, etc. We take off to go get my Lortab (described as like Vicodin, but stronger) and some Penicillin. Also get some Ginger Ale, as they said I might get a little nauseous (didn't happen).

Get home around 1pm, pop a couple of pills, eat some yogurts. Watch TV and fade in and out of sleep. I'm feeling a little weak, woozy and disoriented, but not too bad. Worst thing is my mouth bleeding like crazy, having to replace these gauze pads a lot. I start to feel better in the evening. There's constant pain, but it's not very bad. Swelling a bit, but not too much.

Around 10pm I decide to sit up and answer some of the 200 or so unanswered emails I got during the day. I compose three and then all of a sudden start feeling dizzy and can't concentrate at all. Decide that couch and TV is the better option, so I go back to that.

Went to bed sometime around 1am. Got up this morning and the bleeding had pretty much stopped and the pain was not bad. Swelling is a little worse today - they mentioned day 2 and 3 swelling might increase, so I've had the icepack on my face, which sucks. Also still tastes like blood in my mouth, which is pretty gross.

Overall, feeling pretty good today, all things considered. I plan to take it easy this weekend, but expect to be pretty much fine by Monday.