Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-19-2005, 07:46 PM

Default AAxx philosophy

I've been thinking about AAxx. Nearly everyone plays it super aggressively preflop, but unless it's AATJ, AA(other pair), AAxx double suited, or AA(67, 78...x, x+1) suited or double suited (apologize for the vague algebra use), I can't really see raising with it preflop, except maybe from the button. But if someone advocated never raising with AA, I'd be inclined to agree.

My rationale is that it's too much of a pain to play on the flop. If you're out of position you almost to fire at most ugly flops becasue you can't really leave that much money out there, and if you're called now you have a huge pot with just one pair and some challenging decisions ahead. And even if you're in position the only advantage you gain is the ability, if you so desire, to check and try to improve.

The basic problem is that you're building a pot with a hand that's not too likely to improve and that, unimproved, is both (a) hard to play, and (b) unlikely to win. Obviously you muck to aggression, but you can't afford to be playing aggressively preflop then giving up on sizable pots when you dont flop a set or flush draw.

On the other hand, if you play AAxx passively preflop, i. e., limp and call raises, then you've disguised your hand dramatically well, and when you do improve you're going to be much more likely to catch opponets off guard in big pots.

I just cant see jamming pots preflop unless you can get more than 2/3 of your money into the pot.

Is this making sense? Can anyone recommend a better AAxx philosophy, or a way to play it thats different and profitable?