Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-17-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Moving up Math help

Hi all:

I used to play NL cash games, 3/6 and 5/10 before deciding that I was more comfortable in SNGs because I was attracted to a game with less variance.

I've been 8 tabling $33 sngs for a few months now and I've logged several thousand. I average a little over 21% ROI, netting me a cool $7.07 per SNG. Considering I run 8 at a time, and I average 34 minutes per game, I'm making about $95/hr. Obviously this is an imperfect number because there is a lapse between busting out and restarting another game...in addition, when sessions wind down, I go from 8 to 4 to 3, etc. But for the purpose of this exercise, let's assume a $95 hourly rate.

I've been averse to moving up to $55s not so much because the skill level is different, but because of the extra 2000 chips in play. Let's assume an extreme and propose that my ROI drops 5% or so. How much will the extra 2,000 chips in play hurt my hourly wage. I love the $33s principally because they're so short. How much time do those 2,000 chips add?

Does anyone have an equation or experience so that I can calculate the time difference and general ROI drop from the 33s to 55s. Assuming that the 55s and 109s play on a fairly similar skill level, does it make more sense just to start playing the 109s?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.