Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-16-2005, 07:16 PM

Default Another multi-way AA Limit Hold\'em question

On the button with AA, 4 limpers (2 EP, 1 MP, and the cutoff, for example). To raise or not to raise?

Of course the answer is table dependent but if you raise you'll probably get 4, 5 or even 6 calls (who folds for 1 bet preflop when the button raised?), making the pot 11.5-14 small bets. A lot of hands will be correct in drawing against you here. If they make as little as a pair on the flop and are drawing to a 5 outer, they're correct in drawing on the turn, also.
Is it maybe better to just call and give bad odds to the gutshots on the flop? To give KQ a chance to pair and give you some good action (and drive out the draws)? You'll still run into the small sets, but that'd happen if you raise (and flush draws and good straight draws, and pair-overcard-backdoor draws).
So my question is this: Is the potential for incorrect action (and consequent expectation) after the flop worth the 4.5-6 small bets you don't get in before the flop?

Postscript thoughts: If the gutshots won't call at 7-1, but KQ will call on overcards and the pair-and-backdoor-draws will look at the turn and improve or release.

The best traps look natural. What's more natural than the button calling after 4 limpers?

Raising on the button doesn't REALLY give the strength of your hand away, you may get the loose action afterward anyway.

You only gain when the other player(s) make a mistake, so why encourage the small bet mistake and the correct action with the big bet? Manipulate the pot size in order to create mistakes.

If one of the blinds decides to raise with JTs (or AKs) or something, I can always make it 3 bets on my action. Either they'll go to 4 bets to narrow the field (and lots of bets die) or everybody calls 1 more bet and it's catch-me-if-you-can (because it's hard to fold before the river with 15-20+ smalls before the flop).

Is this the Key Lepanto?