Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-16-2005, 10:33 AM

Default Stud8 - Small 2-pair vs. an ace - questions on 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th

Questions on almost every street! But I consider myself new to Stud8, so I've got an excuse.

Villain who completes the bet on 3rd street has raised his ace up the previous two times, so I'm inclined to believe that he's raising more than just a pair of aces here. I know that I should be careful when an open ace raises (even if I suspect he's not raising a pair of aces), but I don't think I can fold a small pair with a consecutive low card, on 3rd, can I?

On 4th, I'm raising with my small two pair to drive out the field and isolate the guy that I hope has at most a pair of aces. Is this the right time, or should I have waited until 5th and kept the pot smaller?

On 5th, I'm still raising to isolate, but now I recognize there is a decent chance I'm behind. I'm caught between trying to narrow the field with the best hand and getting myself trapped with the worst. I raised because I'd rather play two small pair heads up than 4-way, and I'll just hope for the best. Should I have bailed out here?

On 6th street, getting check-raised would make me very unhappy, but so would giving up a free card if he has just a pair of 4s and a low draw or something like that, because he's got tons of outs to beat me (and there's that other guy who is drawing to something that I can't figure out what it is).

I think this is a pretty safe check on 7th... I hope I got one of the streets right, and this would be my best bet.

Thanks for any help.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($1/$2), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $0.50 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.75 SB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes

4th Street - (6.75 SB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls

5th Street - (7.38 BB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls

6th Street - (13.38 BB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls

River - (15.38 BB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___checks

Total pot: (15.38 BB)