Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-14-2005, 09:30 PM

Default 1 month NOOB INVESTING update

1 month ago I had $70,000 sitting in a checking account gaining 0% interest and I didn't know the difference between an Individual Retirment Account and the Irish Republican Army. My main reason to research investing was because I couldn't afford to purchase a house in Los Angeles (where I live) and I didn't want to complain about it. I am 35 and wanted to do something and try to make my savings work for me in the short term while I saved my money for a home and retirement.

Well after one month of noob posts, a lot of internet research and reading many books on investing, I can happily say that I've learned a lot, but am still a novice. After purchasing a new car with cash 4 weeks ago I was left with $50,000 in my checking account gaining 0% interest. These are the steps I took to start investing:

1). Opened up an new online Scottrade account with $5000 and invested in 3 stocks (DELL, SNE, OSI). This was not a good idea, but much like playing poker I wanted to jump in and give it a try, I shouldn't have done this, but that's why I only did $5000 and not $50,000 for this adventure.

2). Deposited $4000 into a new Scottrade ROTH IRA account. This is split evenly between two Mutual Funds (Mid Cap Index Fund, and Global Equity Fund).

3). Changed my non matched 401k at work from 0% to 2% (currently have ~ $6000 split in an Index Fund and Diversified International Fund from deposits made 4 years ago)

4). Opened up a Met Life online 3.5% Money Market Account and deposited $35,000. I want to keep $10,000 permanently in this account and invest $25,000 in stocks and Mutual Funds...but...until I feel more confident in my investing knowledge I'm letting the money sit.

5). $5000 currently remains in checking, but I'm getting ready to transfer more in the Money Market account. Maybe leaving around $2000 in checking.

FUTURE GOALS
1). Take $15,000 and invest in Mutual Funds and/or ETF's.
2). Take $10,000 and add that to my $5000 Scottrade account and set up 10 individual stocks and create my own diversified portfolio using $15,000.

I didn't really want to post this, but I said I would. Thanks a lot for answering my stupid questions...I'm sure there will be plenty more in the future.