Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-14-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Skilled LAG play?

What is it? My NL education was mainly from several tournament books HOH and earlier dreadful books, excellent books/essays by Ciaffone, general poker theory TOP etc., this site, and just playing.

None of these texts or sources provide a basis for how a player can successfully make the transition from a tight ass weaky with a sustained winrate at SS, to a good skilled LAG who can own the table with his post flop play. But all suggest playing tight to start.

What is it that the typical 2+2 LAG (sLAG) is doing differently from my 16/6/2 game?

Every time I post it seems I get told to fold preflop as it is. "Fold AJs UTG", "Limp AKo its -EV even in MP"

Then occasionally there's the non-specific "play more with position". Play what!!!!!

We aim for hands to double up on right? So how does playing 'Any 2' help accomplish this? Any 2 can flop two pair or trips but they do so infrequently. it's about 2% to hit 2 pair ( not including a pair on the flop and pairing one in your hand), 1.4% for hitting trips, 2.3% to catch a four flush to one of your cards. If you play any two suited you can make a flush or draw about 11% on the flop but your more likely to be the one paying off in a big pot there.
Cards with some connectedness can have from 2.5% to 11% of making a str8 draw or better and at least you might get something on these hands ( I know I've paid off 64o enough)

So should I be looking to play hands like T7o if i can limp it in to a multiway pot? Should I be calling raises with good position if I have even a 10% total chance of catching a draw?

It seems that this forum tends to lean in the direction of playing with a wining LAG style and I want to learn all I can here. It just all seems so hard when I spent so long just learning to fold junk.