Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-13-2005, 10:39 AM

Default Your middle round strategy?

I got this somewhere...
"
Mid-Level SnG Strategy
I've noticed that in the middle rounds most people adopt one of three strategies. Very rarely does one player use a combination of these strategies, which makes it easier to put them on a hand or to stay the hell out of their way. I think that many tournies are won or lost in these rounds (say from the T50/T100 - T200/400 blinds). I think that I can increase my ROI if I can play better in these rounds. Anyway, here's the three types of plays that I see

Limp-and-See. Especially in the middle rounds (say the 50/100 blinds), a lot of players love to limp and see the flop for cheap, the bet out strong (sometimes all-in) if they hit top pair or even a solid draw.

All-in every time. Some players love to only bet all in preflop from any position. This play is standard practice when you are short-stacked of course, but sometimes you'll see huge stacks go all-in from the CO or UTG with nothing in an attempt to steal blinds. As Sexton states, "This play works every time but once."

Raise and Represent. This is the most common technique used by players, and, in my opinion, the toughest to defend. The player raises anywhere from 1x to 3x the BB and then bets the pot after the flop. The player represents top pair no matter what the flop is (or obviously represents an over pair if the flop is all rags). "

I am using a limp and see strategy mostly if >13bb. Bet and represent rarely. What do you use?