Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-11-2005, 08:49 PM

Default Re: Experts: What would you change about how you learned poker?

I'm only into the middle limit games & I don't know that I would term myself an "expert", but I think I've progressed fairly well since I started playing. Looking back...

-Bonus whoring/rakeback. I knew that bonuses existed when I started out, but didn't realize how prevalent they were, or how easily one could use them to augment their bankroll just by switching sites. I had no idea what rakeback was, and so I didn't get a rakeback deal...these two mistakes have likely cost me thousands of dollars since.
-I would've moved up more slowly. I jumped up the limits way too quickly, both from a skill and from a bankroll standpoint, and only good fortune kept me from busting myself early on.
-I would've started playing sooner. I started playing about 13 months ago, and I can't even imagine how much money I missed out on right after the big online poker boom started.

As far as skill development, I'm very happy with how I'm progressing. I read my first book on poker (Hilger's ITH) before I played my first hand of real money poker, and picked up SSH entirely by accident shortly afterwards. I started posting & reading here on 2+2 after reading that book, and that has been invaluable in increasing my learning curve (incidentally, all you lurkers--you will get a lot more out of this site by participating. I've learned much more by being wrong in a few debates on here than I have by reading other posts). And I resisted multi-tabling until I had been playing for several months, and even then didn't move beyond 2 tables at a time until about a year after I started playing. I think that was a key factor in learning the game.