Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-11-2005, 04:46 PM

Default Re: A theoretical baseball question

[ QUOTE ]
Don't you realize how much easier it is to hit a change-up when you know it's coming?

[/ QUOTE ]
i wouldn't throw a change up in this situation (i am telling him what's coming and still trying to get him out), a change up is a pitch that works off of your fastball so obviously if you know its coming why throw it?
[ QUOTE ]
Or to waste a curve-ball if it's in a good spot?

[/ QUOTE ]
why would you throw a waste pitch if they know whats coming? maybe to change their eye level if you want to come back with a high fastball, but this is a big "if" b/c they know what's coming. this drill isn't designed to get swing and misses. you wan't to locate pitches and get them to put the ball in play.
[ QUOTE ]
Even a guy like Brad Lidge would get SHELLED, due to the fact that anyone (in the bigs) can hit a 97mph fastball if they know it's coming. Who's gonna swing as his low and away slider anymore?

[/ QUOTE ]
true, anyone can hit a 110 mph fastball if they get enough pitches to time it. what you aren't thinking about is that lidge throws that slider down and out of the zone b/c he CAN throw it there b/c they HAVE to swing at it b/c his command and "stuff" is way too good, he simply throws way too hard when not telling the hitter whats coming. when telling the hitter whats coming he would eat up left handed hitters with that hard slider in on their hands. i don't think he would get SHELLED but yes it would be a hell of a lot tougher for him.
[ QUOTE ]
You are vastly underestimating the power of deception for the pitcher. Guys like Kenny Rogers, Jamie Moyer, Tom Glavine... would all be grossly ineffective as they rely heavily on "smart pitching", and putting the ball where the hitter can't adjust to it in time. Example soft stuff low and away then a "sneaky" 87 mph fastball on the inner half. lol. Hitters could wait on this inner fastball and turn on it like you ain't ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]
when did i say anything about these guys and guys that throw soft? even still location guys will do ok in this situation than guys with overpowering stuff leaving pitches over the middle.