Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-11-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Being good at poker

I was in a hand last night, UB 30-60, I think it was 6 or 7-handed. Tight but otherwise unknown player opens, I 3bet on the button with TT, fish calls in BB, opener caps, we call.

Flop is 9 high raggy. Check; bet; I raise; fish calls 2; opener calls.

Turn pairs the 9. Opener bets.

At that moment I see what he did. He didn't 3bet the flop because he wants me to attack his donkbet on the turn with a raise. If he 3bets the flop then there is little chance he can present the fish with 2 bets to go.

But there is that nagging inner child that is afraid of "people making moves on me", and dammit I have an overpair to this board, and I can't very well just call with this fish behind me. It's "raise or fold" time.

I did the opener's bidding and raised. I lost the hand.

There are many hands posted where the hero stands up to aggression, makes tough calls, etc., but not so much a tight fold, like an overpair vs. a fish and an unknown. I'm curious if the top players here see the hand as I've laid it out, and say "oh yeah, easy fold on the turn", or if I am being results-oriented.

Comments most appreciated.