Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Help me drop out of school (resume, job search question)

[ QUOTE ]
Being a lawyer mostly sucks.

I've done tax, criminal prosecution, criminal defense, family law, big firm litigation, small firm litigation, and a year-and-a-half of "door law" (whatever walks in the door).

I find that the only lawyers I have ever known who like what they do are Intellectual Property attorneys (they get to be involved in science regularly, and there's always new, cutting edge tech and, accordingly, legal theories and decisions), Criminal (both sides - but you have to be a true believer in your side, not just in it for a job), and public interest lawyers (ugh).

Consider, if UT allows, a leave-of-absence instead of dropping out. May be tough to get back in anywhere if you drop out.

As an engineer, you have the background for IP. Go to the guidance office and ask to be put in contact with some alums who are both doing IP and have an EE (or similar) background.

I wish almost every day that I hadnt gone to law school. I went for the wrong reasons (not sure what I really wanted to do, and its a supposedly versatile degree). I loved criminal prosecution, but other than that, its mostly sucked.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going for the same reasons you went. I didn't have a job, felt like my life wasn't going anywhere, and felt like I had to do something about it. I'd already taken the LSAT so it seemed like a good idea.

I had planned on going into IP since I have the background for it. I've heard the opposite you have about patent work though, people I've spoken to find it dull from what I've seen I have to agree.

If I do leave I will try to take leave of absence, probably even if I have to finish whatever semester I'm in at the time. I want to leave but don't like burning bridges.

Thanks for the reply and I hope we both find something that makes us happy.