Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-08-2005, 08:16 PM

Default Hard to predict animal behavior

Here's an interesting article I just happened upon yesterday:

Well, a teaser, at least:

Posted on Fri, Oct. 07, 2005

R E L A T E D C O N T E N T

Lou Pimental
This is the deer suspected of goring two dogs and confronting two others in Orinda.

R E L A T E D L I N K S
• Forum: What should be done about the deer?
• Blog: Gary Bogue on pets and wildlife
• Python bursts after trying to eat gator

Aggressive buck terrorizes Orinda

By Denis Cuff

CONTRA COSTA TIMES

ORINDA - A scar-faced rogue deer is attacking dogs and unnerving some residents in this woodsy town.

He's Bambi gone ballistic.

The black-tailed buck deer gored a dog to death in its yard a short distance from its owner, and then wounded a second dog in another yard, according to neighbors, police, and a Fish and Game warden.

There was a similarly odd story a few years back about ravens attacking and killing sheep in some European country (I think Switzerland).

I find these stories interesting because they illustrate that animals do not behave simply as we expect. I was told in neuroanatomy that any animal with a cortex can learn unique behaviors not simply a program from their genetics (obviously genetics establishes the parameters of their behavior--expressed genetics).

I'm also told that traditional vegatarian animals and carnivorous animals mix up their diets more than most people think eating dense protein or vegatable matter as well.