Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-06-2005, 10:49 AM

Default Regarding opponent having aces....

I'm a long time NLTHE player who's been playing PLO8 and more recently PLO. I've been playing the $25tables at either Party or Poker.

I have noticed that, at the $25 tables, most people limp 99% of the time and, most of the time when someone makes a significant raise PF (especially the donks who buy in short), they have Aces (doesn't matter the other 2 cards, apparently... I've seen AA59 nothing suited, for instance).

This has had the effect of knocking out some of the limpers. I have been experimenting with calling with a variety of hands (preferably with no pairs)... not knowing their relative strength in a matchup (which is bad for me), but calling because I figure the fact that I can strongly put the PFR on Aces gives me a fantastic edge. I have been calling with hands that I might normally fold PF like:
3 6 8 10
6 7 J Q
A 5 6 8 ds

My thoughts being... There's a good chance (going in heads up or 3 to a flop) that a lot of my cards are 'live' (against the guy with Aces).

If I hit 2 pair (or open trips), I check to the shortstack PFR who nearly always makes a pot-sized continuation bet. I put him all in (if there's another player still around, I may slowdown).. he ALWAYS calls, and, so long as the board doesn't pair up (with a card I'm not holding), I take his stack.

I have begun to think the best way for me to make money is for another player to have aces.

This has been working wonderfully for me thus far. I'm just wondering if I've been lucky short term doing this or is this a 'standard' strategy?

Thanks for your thoughts.