Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What is your standard devation in BB/100 in NL
12 5 9.80%
13 0 0%
14 0 0%
15 3 5.88%
16 4 7.84%
17 2 3.92%
18 1 1.96%
19 0 0%
20 0 0%
21 1 1.96%
22 or higher 35 68.63%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-06-2005, 05:32 AM

Default Re: POLL---Who is more Reasonable

Dear, oh deary me!!!

Its not difficult to guess at what your own position is. Basically, you have posed an incredibly fuzzy question and you're imposing a clearly prejudiced interpretation on the 'statistical' results. If the figures were the other way round would your interpretation be something like 'Aha, most people think its more reasonable to believe in God so it must be'?

I've been on both sides of the fence, and in my experience the people most open to the ideas and arguments are the non-believers. When I was an ardent young Christian, I had many long and interesting conversations with non-believers who were always (to a person) open to hearing my beliefs and reasons for believing.

Allow me to give another interpretation of your results - it seems to me that the human condition demands the hope of continued existence and so we cling desperately to any slim chance that there is an afterlife. Which makes non-believers far more open to the possibility of God and makes the believers completely closed to the possibility of there being no God. The non-believers have only 'reason' to convince them, against their natural urges, so fully appreciate that it is 'reason' that supports non-belief. Whereas, intelligent believers realise that it comes down to faith and that to maintain belief involves a departure from reason alone. So most people will vote that non-believers are more reasonable (even if many would think their reasoning is flawed or insufficient).