Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2005, 06:52 AM

Default Re: How much do you value your life?

The number of people who say they will do this IF they have the insurance covering their children, etc etc really surprises me.

I would think that your kids and loved-ones would (hopefully) rather you stick around then be set on their college education and what-not.

you could offer me 100x of Bill Gates' total worth and I would still not take this bet.

I have a few thousand dollars and a crappy car and good friends.
I like music, running, soccer, my cat, playing piano, good coffee, etc etc.
If I had a zillion dollars I would STILL be the same person and like all the same things.
I would get to travel a lot more than I already do and really 'live it up' wherever I go with zero worries...but that's probably about it.

I generally am a happy person living a happy life and I don't take my situation for granted (that is, I'm aware that 95% or more of the world's people would be envious of my situation).

A little over 2 years ago I was pretty broke and out of a job. No career prospects anymore...and a bit disillusioned. Not much food in the fridge.
Also semi-recently divorced.

I wouldn't have taken this bet for a zillion dollars even then because I generally enjoy life too much.

Obviously some cash would have been nice. But I am content in my ideas that life (and the enjoyment of it) is far more about money.

I am truly surprised at the number of people who will take this bet for $2-mil or $5-mil or whatever.
It's a real eye-opener for me.

I would more strongly consider taking this bet if I was facing more immediate propsects of death....like if I was very old or had cancer pretty badly already or something like that.