Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-03-2005, 08:46 AM

Default Do you call oversized PF raises with small pockets?

I was discussing this with another player the other day, and wanted some other opinions on it.

Basically, say you're holding any pockets from 22-99 or so.

A significant preflop raise comes to you - about 5-6x the BB, which most likely indicates a large pocket pair (JJ,QQ,KK,AA).

While certainly dominated preflop, are the implied odds worth occasionally calling these?

The thought is hitting your set (about 1:8 or so) could pay off huge, because an overpair will often call your all-in on the flop.

Other thoughts:
- I wouldn't try this with suited connectors or Ax suited, because the flop itself won't usually give you your hand, and the turn will be expensive to see
- I would only call this against a player with a large stack, to ensure that I could get as much money possible out of the all-in.

Thoughts?

Would it be better to be in early or late position here?

EARLY: From the big stack's perspective, if someone pushes all-in first, and i'm holding overpairs, there's a decent chance I'd call.

LATE: However, many bigstacks might push all-in right off the bat to protect against draws.

Typical cash games are $20NL buyin, .25/50 blinds, table of mostly LAG's.