Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-02-2005, 04:45 PM

Default Re: \'Islam is the official religion of the state\'

[ QUOTE ]
So how do you guys justify American deaths over this? I thought we were supposed to bring freedom and democracy to Iraq. Instead, we've brought a religious theocracy. I am appalled at what is happening in Iraq and have no idea how any person that believes in democracy can support more American Soldier deaths over this joke of a constitution.

[/ QUOTE ]

You failed to articulate this, but there seem to be two provisions you're concerned about: that Islam is the official religion of Iraq, and that no laws can be passed that "[contradict] the undisputed rules of Islam."

Being worried that Islam is the official religion of Iraq is stupid. Are you trying to say that all states with official religions are theocracies? Like the UK or Italy? Or did you want to say that there's a problem with Islam in particular as a state religion?

The second worry is that no law is going to be passed that contravenes the undisputed principles of Islam. Wait, so no law is going to be passed that the overwhelming majority of Iraq's people feel is incompatible, beyond any doubt, with their devoutly-held religious beliefs?? Shocking. Explain to me how that's not just democracy?

I think the problem is that you liberals seem to be unwilling or unable to understand the fact that Iraqis have different beliefs than Americans. It's a far more religious society, with a religion that is far more involved with politics. The constitution guarantees democracy. It enshrines human rights, due process, and religious freedom. These things are the sine qua non of a democratic constitution. Imposing your philosophy on the relationship between religion and the state is another matter entirely.