Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-01-2005, 05:36 AM

Default Trouble in early position

The game is the Wynn 4/8, 9 handed. I often have trouble with these kinds of hands. I used to fire fire fire, and now I don't know if that is the best course of action. A raise preflop in these games does nothing except build a pot, for if they were resigned to call 4, they were resigned to call 8. Therefore, hands such as the following are difficult for me.

I am UTG with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I look and think, hrm raise. And then, I decided to call. These games are very weak, so raising is infrequent, and a hand like TT is tough, because if I build a pot, then calling on the flop with a lot of hands becomes correct for these players. I also didn't want to become married to them and have to think about throwing them away when some tough flop falls.

First of all, is this limp bad, or am I thinking on the right track? I wanted a safe flop I could check raise to isolate or just bet out on. I didnt want a K or A to flop, and have the pot already have 7 BB in it from my PF raise, which everyone would likely call. I want a hand much better multiway or stronger for that kind of pot.

Anyway, I limp, and the pot is 6 handed. The board flops 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Blinds check, I check, it checks to the button, who I know as a player, and I know I am ahead here, who bets. The BB calls, and I raise to knock out the remaining players. the turn is another 8. i bet, both call. The river a clean J. I bet, they both fold.

Thoughts?