Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-30-2005, 04:31 PM

Default PP \"juicing\" vs. other sites

I'm a Ph.D. Psychologist, so I'm supposed to understand how people think and know a fair amount about statistics. I started a thread recently about whether sites are juicing the games (sorry to resurrect that, but I'm pretty interested in it). The camps are basically 1: the data do not support the hypothesis that PP is juicing - e.g. when players collect a number of hands that the distribution of the cards seems to be normal (great data analysis by the way). Or 2: "I've suffered so many unlikely bad beats that there must be some manipulation going on." I've suffered a number of statistically improbable bad beats recently as well. Psycholigically, when you've got the opponent by the short ones with only 2 outs on the river, you're counting your money already, and then the very unlikely (but entirely possible) happens, one of the 2 outs remaining comes up. Of course, we remember this for all time, and do not tend to remember the times that we were on the positive receiving end of an unlikely event in cards. Well either "that's poker", or maybe something is fishy. So I'm trained as a scientist and tend to believe the data, rather than my interpretations, but it's hard sometimes when I've been the victim of some outrageous beats in just one session.

Anyway, I brought up this thread because I was seeing a lot of "well, that's just Party Poker", when playing SNG and tourneys. It seemed like players were seeing this all the time at PP.

So my question is, is this reaction specific to Party Poker, or do players experience this on other sites? If other sites don't seem to have this reaction, or not nearly as much as at PP, then I'm going to consider switching where I bring my money to. I've done well at PP, having placed 1 and 2 in a couple of big tourneys, so I'm pretty stoked about being up a bunch, but do get pretty freaked out about this, even though I understand the data don't give credence to these subjective experiences.

So that's it, do players have similar experiences of being afraid that other sites besides Party, juices the game?

thanks for your thoughts.

zenpractice