Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-2003, 07:14 AM

Default Holdem vs. Split Pot games?

I am strictly a holdem player, I know how to play all the other types of poker but when I play for money, unless it is a friendly home game, I only play holdem.

That is the game I feel most comfortable with and I do not know the nuances of the other games as I do with holdem.

A recurring theme in poker conversations between a good friend of mine and I is how he believes anybody serious about making money in poker should play split pot games such as Omaha Hi/Low and 7 card stud Hi/Low.

He constantly encourages me to make the transition from holdem to those games for the following reasons:

1. He claims you need less of a bankroll
2. There are less flucuations in split pot games.
3. Split pot games are more mathematical and logical therefore pyschology and reading people is less of an important factor.
4. There are less gray areas in split pot games as opposed to holdem where you are faced with more tough decisions that can go either way.

For the players out there that are unlike me and have plenty of experience in playing holdem and the split pot games do you find this to be true or every genre of poker is equally as beatable as the next depending upon your skill?