Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-30-2005, 08:10 AM

Default is this a correct strategy or did he just get lucky?

i was playing in 10K tourny last night with a 100 buyin.
56 players started and the top 9 get paid.
about 30 left in the tourny and i got moved to this table.
the average stack size at this stage was about 4K.
i had about 4.5K.
blinds were 200/400 and the rounds were 9 min each.
there was this player who had 4K in chips.
this player would go all in ever other hand and as a result every one folded to him.
one or twice he got called showing cards as low as 55 or A9 and he got lucky and won but he kept in all the way.
i mean he went all in about 15 hands out of 25 and he didnt play the rest of them hands.
even when his stack got to about 16k with 20 players left ,thats all that he was doing.
near the end of the bubble with about 14 players left ,he did a bit more and he got his stack up to about 25k.
i could not make a move at all and nither could any one else at the table because of this.
i blinded my self to the final table eventually and went out at 9th place.
at first i was thinking that the player was no good and he got lucky ,but i watched him win the tourny with the same strategy and he was against stacks double or triple his at one stage.
i asked around about him and this guy has a reputation for doing this and apparently he wins a lot of tournies or at least finish high up in the money like this often.
any thoughts on this at all and how would you adjust your play at a table with some one like that?