Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-29-2005, 03:27 PM

Default The Theory of Top Set

This situation came up last night and, while weighing my options, I realized that I was working almost entirely off of experience and my reads on the other players in the pot. It dawned on me that I wasn't aware of any reasonable theoretical way to approach this type of problem. I'm wondering if there is some approach I am overlooking or is this just poker.

The 3/3 PL HE game at the Vic: It is tournament week so it is busy but it is a pretty typical Vic table, a mix of solid regulers, donators and nut peddlers.

Three limpers to the sb who raises the pot. I have QQ in the bb and decide to smooth call. (Debate this if you like but it is not the point of the post.) All three limpers call for a pot of 90. I have about 650 behind and stack sizes of the others in the pot range from 450 to 1200.

Flop is a dream: Q 7 3 rainbow.

SB checks to me. I have the absolute best possible hand at the moment and there are only seven possible hands that can catch a card on the turn to beat me. Clearly, I'm a big favorite. So, what's the plan:

(1) Bet out and hope for a caller or, in a perfect world, a raise?

(2) Check planning to c/r?

(3) Check planning to call with the idea of playing a big pot on a later street?

I have played enough to have had an opinion about which option was best but it was based almost entirely on what I have seen happen in other hands in the past.

I'm posting this here rather than in MHS because I am interested in any thoughts on how to analyze this hand from a theoretical perspective.

Thanks in advance.

edit: fixed confusing typo noted in first reply.