Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2003, 11:10 PM

Default Three Handed 8-8 Question

I am stumped whether or not I screwed this hand up. Party $30 Sit-n-go NL three handed. We are already into the money. I have been the tightest of the three players. Blinds are large since it is level six or seven (200-400 I believe) and we are virtually even in chips.

I get dealt 8-8 (was not playing a blind). I raised all in. Called by a loose aggresive player to my left and he turns over A-J diamonds. I was about a 53-47 favorite. He won with two pair but that is not really the point.

I know I should be raising and I am trying to figure out whether it was worth raising about 800 (or 1/3 of my stack) rather than going all in.

If I do that I am not sure it is going to scare someone in the bb of 400. Much more than 800 and I am getting close to the 40% or so mark where I am pretty much committing myself to go all in.

Also, if the wild player reraised me I was willing to go all in so why not just put it in there in the first place.

If I had 10-10 or higher I think it is a relatively easy all in for me. Problem is 8-8 is a dying duck against a higher pair.

Also, there is a decent chance the two others might fight it out at some point and leave me a shot at second or first place.

Playing these middle-high pairs shorthanded is probably a weakness in my game. I guess my final thought is that the large blind structure of the Party tourneys dictates luck will play a large role and maybe the big blinds dictated my play.

Any suggestions?