Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-27-2005, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Basketball--improving ball handling

Really there is no way to improve ball handling except for a)play a ton of ball - less effective or b)do tons of ball handling drills - more effective. These are the ones that I used to do (make sure you keep your head up on all drills - no looking at the ball!):
1. Pound the ball low and hard (around knee level) in a good athletic stance for 30 secs. Switch hands. Repeat. I would do about 5 sets with each hand then rest and repeat the whole thing.
2. Dribble 'inside out'. I.e. with only one hand and without looking at the ball, dribble from side to side so that you make sorta a 'V' with the ball. So you'll be moving, say, your left hand from the upper left side of the ball to the upper right side of the ball and back while bouncing it on an angle. This will work your 'exterior' muscles and help your cross over. Same routine as first drill: left, right, left, right, etc. 30 second reps. When you get tired, rest and repeat.

3. Dribble 'front to back'. Same as 'inside out' but forwards and backwards instead of side to side.

4. Finally I would start moving. I would run from sideline to sideline making a move in the centre each time. First I'd stutter step. Then I'd cross over. Then I'd go around my back. Then I'd combine them. E.g. stutter then cross over. The key is to always stay on balance, and really sell the move like there is a defender. Another great move to practice is to come up, stop advancing (while maintaining dribble, of course) take two slide steps back, then cross over and bust out. Simulates getting trapped in the backcourt and having to get out of the double team.

Good luck.