Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2005, 09:12 PM

Default Using bankroll to make investments...

I didn't really know where to put this, but i figured there are probably quite a few posters in this forum who have to make similar descions.

I have been running very hot latley, and this allowed me to move up quite a bit recently. Currently, my main game is 30-60 and i have been dabbling in a little 50-100. I don't have too many hands in the 50 game, but i feel i can be a winner there. I am still not sure if those games are more profitable than the 30 ones.

There is an investment property that i am very interested in, and i think it has excellent long term potential. It would require about a $40,000 downpayment or so, plus maybe a grand or two in closing costs. If i made this investment, i would still have a decent role for the 30 (about 850 BB) but it would make it much more difficult to continue moving up.

So, i guess there are a few question. For those of you playing games other than the 30, but not higher than 1/2, how much greater do you think the earning potential is in those games? In the ones i see, it's hard to imagine most of them are beatable for more than 1BB/100, and i think that would be VERY difficult in most of those games. I don't want to sacrifice my earning potential, but i don't know if i really have a higher expectation in the higher games.

Also, another consideration is how much emotional control you need to play some of these higher games. I have never had a loss >8k in a day. I don't know how it would feel to drop 75BB in a day at 1-2, and i don't think i want to. For those of you who have played the higher games, did you find the adjustment was just like it was as you moved up previously, or is there some point where it becomes more of a factor for you guys? Thanks for the advice.

Gabe