Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2005, 06:21 AM

Default Math Unites Atheists and Believers

Out of boredom I came up with a way to quantify a persons faith in god or doubt in his existence. Many people are agnostics and we won't openly say that god doesn't exist but we also won't say that we believe in him. This is because we are rational people. We have doubts that god exists, but we also accept that maybe there is a god because we can't prove or disprove god's existence. So now let's use a number to represent our belief or doubt in god. I call it our "Agnostic Factor". The Agnostic Factor is the chance that you think that there is a god. So it's like we're betting on whether there is a god or not and you have to take some kind of odds for your money before you decide to make a bet.
I was raised christian and don't go to church or read the bible in any way so I say that there is a 1/5 chance that there is a god. I call myself an agnostic. I then asked my brother the atheist what he thinks the chance of a god are and he said 1/100. I didn't have a religious person to test and so I assume that people who say that they believe in god will say a number better than 1/2. Now the limits of the Agnostic Factor are 1 and 0. However, these numbers are unattainable without oversimplifying or rounding. A really big atheist might say that there is a 1/1000 chance of there being a god, but this is 0.001. I believe that no atheist no matter how hardcore they say they don't believe in god can give a number of 0. 1/100000000 is not 0 unless you simplify and say that it is approximately zero, but this is not the true number. Now for religious people. I believe that many religious people will say that there is a 1/1 chance of there being a god. But I don't feel that this is truly being honest. I believe that the most religious people in the world will not honestly have a number greater than 1/1.05. Therefore the limit of 1/1 is impossible.
Now I define that a person who says that they believe in god has an agnostic factor of 1 > AF >0.5
And I define that a person who claims to be an atheist has an Agnostic Factor of 0.05 > AF > 0.0001
And then of course the selfproclaimed agnostics have an agnostic factor of 0.5 > AF > 0.05
As you can see, all people have an agnostic number between 0 and 1, but never 0 or 1. Therefore, everybody is limited to the chance that they think that there is a god. So religious people and atheists are just people that are either rounding up to 1 or rounding down to 0. We are all therefore agnostics defined by our agnostic factor. And since we are all the same, we can give thanks to math for uniting us all. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]